[pulseaudio-discuss] sink_name's not used in UI tools?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jul 7 13:11:32 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Bosmans at 07/07/09 20:28 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Chris Joelly<chris-m-lists at joelly.net> wrote:
>> Is there a way to display the sink_name's i gave using the load-modules
>> directives in the default.pa file? and if not, is there a way to change
>> the way these tools display the sink_name's?>
>
> It's actually the sinks description, not it's name, that is displayed
> in the gui tools.
>
> You can change this by using the sink_properties argument on the
> load-module line in default.pa, e.g.
> sink_properties="device.description='My Preferred Name'". You'll need
> the latest PA for this, probably the soon-to-be-released 0.9.16.
>
> It's even possible to assign an icon to each sink, to have even more
> discoverability for the users of your audio setup.
>
> For more info you can browse back in the list archives for earlier
> conversations about sink descriptions, it's a topic that comes up
> quite a lot.

For combined sinks the description will be automatically set, so even if
you do pass the device.description property it will be overwritten
immediately!

In order to fix this you'll need to apply this patch:
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commit;h=a007d4740f2afe2eef04acb7c1b6d8371e3417b4

I'm also half-working on a GUI for managing combined sinks directly in
pavucontrol without having to hack about with default.pa so watch this
space :)

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]