[pulseaudio-discuss] sink_name's not used in UI tools?

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 12:28:06 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Chris Joelly<chris-m-lists at joelly.net> wrote:
> Is there a way to display the sink_name's i gave using the load-modules
> directives in the default.pa file? and if not, is there a way to change
> the way these tools display the sink_name's?>

It's actually the sinks description, not it's name, that is displayed
in the gui tools.

You can change this by using the sink_properties argument on the
load-module line in default.pa, e.g.
sink_properties="device.description='My Preferred Name'". You'll need
the latest PA for this, probably the soon-to-be-released 0.9.16.

It's even possible to assign an icon to each sink, to have even more
discoverability for the users of your audio setup.

For more info you can browse back in the list archives for earlier
conversations about sink descriptions, it's a topic that comes up
quite a lot.

Maarten