[pulseaudio-discuss] changing sample rate for webcam microphone

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Thu Jul 16 14:48:10 PDT 2009

Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote

> The correct fix would of course be to fix the webcam drivers
> - if only some sample rates work, opening the device with anything else
> should fail.

So this is a issue for the snd-usb-audio author(s) I guess?

> > But now, the daemon does not start any longer with this line...
>
> When the startup fails, pasting the error messages would be helpful.

If it is too much a hassle, don't care. Since a mic may only be used once at a
time I think it is not so important to have good sound server support for it,
isn't it?

Ok, this is what syslog said:

alsa-util.c: Device hw:1 doesn't support 2 channels, changed to 1.

module-alsa-source.c: Your kernel driver is broken: it reports a volume range
from -128.00 dB to -128.00 dB which
makes no sense.

alsa-util.c: Device front:0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.

alsa-util.c: Cannot find fallback mixer control "PCM".

alsa-util.c: Device front:0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.

socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Address family not supported by protocol

socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Address family not supported by protocol

Error opening PCM device front:Camera: Device or resource busy

module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-source" (argument:
"source_name=pawebcammic device=front:Camera rate
=16000"): initialization failed.

Jul 16 23:40:39 linux-61r3 pulseaudio[12242]: main.c: Module load failed.
Jul 16 23:40:39 linux-61r3 pulseaudio[12242]: main.c: Failed to initialize.

Regards
Malte