[pulseaudio-discuss] changing sample rate for webcam microphone

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Jul 16 15:04:17 PDT 2009

to, 2009-07-16 kello 23:48 +0200, Malte Gell kirjoitti:
> Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote
>
> > The correct fix would of course be to fix the webcam drivers
> > - if only some sample rates work, opening the device with anything else
> > should fail.
>
> So this is a issue for the snd-usb-audio author(s) I guess?

Hmm... possibly. I believe the driver is actually rather generic, so the
bug might actually be in the hardware (or firmware). I wonder if it
works any better in other operating systems (without special drivers, as
USB audio shouldn't need any). If snd-usb-audio includes any quirk
database, this webcam could be added to it...

> > > But now, the daemon does not start any longer with this line...
> >
> > When the startup fails, pasting the error messages would be helpful.
>
> If it is too much a hassle, don't care. Since a mic may only be used once at a
> time I think it is not so important to have good sound server support for it,
> isn't it?

I guess that's for the user to decide :)

> Ok, this is what syslog said:
>
> alsa-util.c: Device hw:1 doesn't support 2 channels, changed to 1.
>
> module-alsa-source.c: Your kernel driver is broken: it reports a volume range
> from -128.00 dB to -128.00 dB which
> makes no sense.
>
> alsa-util.c: Device front:0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
>
> alsa-util.c: Cannot find fallback mixer control "PCM".
>
> alsa-util.c: Device front:0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
>
> socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Address family not supported by protocol
>
> socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Address family not supported by protocol
>
> Error opening PCM device front:Camera: Device or resource busy

As I said, loading the source after module-hal-detect doesn't work due
to the device already being open. Or is this log from an attempt to load
module-alsa-source before module-hal-detect? If so, some other program
is hogging the device.

--
Tanu Kaskinen