[pulseaudio-discuss] PA and OS X

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Jul 17 04:14:54 PDT 2009

pe, 2009-07-17 kello 12:12 +0200, Daniel Mack kirjoitti:
> Is there any standard internal audio sample format? CoreAudio works with
> floats all the way, so it would be perfect if there were no further
> sample conversions included (which is tricky as floats in kernel space
> are considered evil in Mac OS X, similar to Linux).

Since Colin didn't have a detailed answer to this, I'll try...

So any native CoreAudio clients will be pushing and recording only float
samples? That's fine - the IOAudioEngine thingy will then create float
streams to the PA server (this is fully supported).

And when doing the input/output modules, they talk to the sound card
only with float samples too? Then the sinks and sources you create can
only be configured to work in float mode. Which is fine too. Clients can
use any format they like when communicating with the server. If the
format of the stream and the sink/source don't match, conversion is done
by the existing framework. Neither clients nor the sink/source module
implementers need to care much about sample format issues.

So, if I understood this correctly, local streams on Mac would always
use float samples and no conversions are needed at any point, other than
sample rate conversions (which are also done somewhat transparently by
the existing framework).

--
Tanu Kaskinen