[pulseaudio-discuss] PA and OS X

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jul 17 04:49:09 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Daniel Mack at 17/07/09 12:11 did gyre and gimble:
>> The "userspace layer" itself, should just be a pulseaudio client: e.g.
>> it should use libpulse to talk to the pulseaudio daemon. This daemon may
>> not actually be running locally, it could be a remote one (i.e. on the
>> network and specified by some kind of config - e.g. the PULSE_SERVER env
>> var).
>
> Ah, I see. Ok.

Yeah, this may perhaps cause some issues. Of course there is nothing
wrong with having the userspace layer in pulse itself if the structures
on OSX make it necessary. It may be wise to make it a separate
process/deamon tho'. Not really sure, but there will be some sort of
solution :D

>> Obviously the pulse modules: module-coreaudio-source/sink should be able
>> to identify the "virtual" IOAudioEngine and completely ignore it such
>> that we don't create a universe destroying black hole of doom!
>
> Well. That would then be some fuzzy string match or so. Don't know. Are
> you saying you can't build feedback loops with ALSA?

Well not via auto-detection no.

Currently module-udev-detect will load, and find all the real sound
hardware on the machine and load module-alsa-sink/source for each
genuine card (this isn't quite true, but it's close enough!).

So if alsa's "default" device is routed via pulse, the autodetect code
will not see it.

You can manually load a module-alsa-sink module too and I guess you can
specify a loop in this case, but you have to try pretty hard to do it!!

>> Really looking forward to your contributions :D
>
> I can't promise to much attention at the moment as I'm super busy, but I
> hope to get something together soon :)

Yeah, we're all in the same boat :)

> In the meantime, there is some work needed to build the git version on
> Darwin, it does indeed not work out of the box.

Yeah there will probably be some problems in the source too that need
looking at, perhaps on some of the locking stuff and perhaps the db
layer too... tho' I hope that'll be OK.

Cheers

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]