[pulseaudio-discuss] 64-bit Flash 10 and PulseAudio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Jul 29 22:10:14 PDT 2009

ti, 2009-07-28 kello 16:50 +0200, Lennart Poettering kirjoitti:
> > So Flash doesn't seem to use the hardware directly after all! Instead,
> > it seems to be hardcoded to use dmix. (Hey Adobe, WTF is so hard in
> > using the default device??) I added this to ~/.asoundrc:
>
> Hmm. This is not necessary here. Have you checked with strace if flash
> might be looking for some specific libraries lying around? Maybe this
> is some lib64/ vs lib/ fuckup? (iirc the adobe guys develop on fedora,
> so maybe they hardcoded some path there)

Ok, did some testing. The result: I'm embarrassed. I hadn't defined the
default device to use pulse. Apparently all my sound producing programs
have been using PA directly for quite a while (since last system
reinstall). Indeed, I don't use much else than Rhythmbox, Totem and
Mplayer, each of which are configured to use PA.

Apologies for spreading misinformation (seems to already be highly
ranked by Google...) to Adobe and the distro maintainers who added this
nonsense to their packages.

--
Tanu Kaskinen