[pulseaudio-discuss] PA now compiles on OS X

Kim Lester kim at dfusion.com.au
Fri Jul 31 09:22:48 PDT 2009

On 01/08/2009, at 12:55 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Please, next time attach them uncompressed and inline, makes it easier
> to comment on.

Ok - but historically newgroup readers have tend to flame people who
add 20K+ of patches inline on a discussion group....
Times change.

> Also, could you please split those patches into logical units?
> i.e. one patch that adds the clock_xxxx stuff, and another one that
> adds the semaphore stuff?

Hmmm. I probably can but it's going to take me a number of hours to
sort out and I can't do it until later next the week.
If you _have_ to have it let me know and I'll try and get around to it.
I understand they are orthogonal edits but surely they are of
relatively little value individually?
I have always tended to commit a logically related and self consistent
set of changes - in this case "make OS X compile/run".
Is it a "git" mindset or a "PA" mindset to commit minimal deltas ?
I will stay minimal in future.

> Also, you'd do me a great favour if you could follow the rules pointed
> out here:
>
> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/CodingStyle

I say tom-ah-to .. you say tom-a-to.
I've read it now.
I happen to voilently disagree with point 3 :-)  given space is not a
problem these days. I *like* my braces to line up vertically. Its far
more elegant IMHO than opening braces way off in never-never land on
RHS of screen.
Still at least you're very sensible with 4 space indents. I just don't
get these 3-space indent weirdos!!! :-)
I'm getting too old and grumpy to follow everyone else's preferences
but I'll try next time :-)

> (/me doesn't like // comments, they are so C++ish...)

They're way more efficient and IMHO one of the few nice things C++
added. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
I've been to uni lectures by Ken Thompson so I *know* old style  but I
love // they are BEAUTIFUL and minimalistic not ugly. ;-)
But I accept "your project ... your rules"

>> * There is a README.OSX file that should cover everything you need to
>> know about what I did and the changes I made.
>> 	Maybe someone can add them to the wiki (I'm not game just yet to go
>> charging in and editing things that might only work for me :-) ).
>
> I think most of this should be documented in the commit msgs or even
> in comments, or in the wiki.

Is there a recommended maximum length/style for commit messages?
Surely you wouldn't want most of that README in a commit message - I
don't mind - I didn't see any wiki commit message standards/
recommendations.

>> * Calls to clock_*  have been replaced with pa_clock_* wrapper except
>> for the one file alsa-time-test.c  where there didn't seem any point
>> !?
>
> Sounds good. pa_clock_settime() should be dropped though, since we
> don't need that, do we?

Probably but it's a threesome group of missing functions. I was just
trying to be complete...
I was thinking of creating a standard "missing" library for OS X that
others could use in the future.
I'm actually somewhat surprised no-one else appears to have done it.
Maybe it should be added into the configure system but that's beyond
my mental capacity just now. No actually configure is beyond my mental
capacity period. :-)

BTW someone added in a line to configure.ac recently:
AC_DEFINE([_POSIX_C_SOURCE], [200112L], [Needed to get clock_gettime
on Mac OS X])
AFAIK that line will have no effect wrt clock_gettime because Apple
appears not to have implemented it anywhere. Someone please correct me
if I am wrong here.

> Hmm, any chance bootstrap_osx.sh could be merged with bootstrap.sh?

Agreed. In theory the essence of bootstrap_osx.sh (ie without the PATH
etc) could replace most/all of bootstrap.sh.
bootstrap_osx.sh seems cleaner, however bootstrap.sh may be doing
other subtle things or supporting other platforms/versions in a way I
don't know. So I left it separate temporarily until someone has tried
a version of boostrap_osx.sh  on linux at least.

> Regarding the dump modules issue: why does every lib exists twice,
> once preloaded and once not preloaded? That's weird. Does the problem
> go away if you disable preloading?

I had removed the force preload (at least in my first version) yet the
modules still appeared. TBA.

> Otherwise looks good.

Ta.