[pulseaudio-discuss] No sound with PA after muting the master channel and restarting PA

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Tue Jun 2 03:38:59 PDT 2009

Ozan Çağlayan wrote On 26-05-2009 19:17:
> Hi,
>
> First of all here's a bug reported by someone else in debian bug
> tracking system:
>
> Here's the summary:
>
> 1) Start pulseaudio (per-user),
> 2) Play something, it works, nice.
> 3) Mute the master channel using KMix or amixer, doesn't matter:
>     amixer -c0 set Master 90% mute
> 4) Play something, no sound, okay.
> 5) Stop PA using pulseaudio -k and restart it.
> 6) The channel is muted so unmute it:
>     amixer -c0 set Master 90% unmute
> 7) Play something, still no sound, problem! The channel is actually
> unmuted when looked over alsamixer, but PA is silent.
> 8) call set-sink-mute 0 0 from pacmd, and it works again.

Okay I've a little bit digged into the issue:

- 0.9.14 works well
- 0.9.15-test1 is affected by the above issue.

Tried disabling some modules and also flat-volumes in defaults.pa, it
didn't help at all.

Then I've done a bisect between those tags and the problem seems to be
introduced by the following commit:

commit d5f46e824e3f8a042e6f67dd4c3fc385545edd74
Author: Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
Date:   Tue Jan 27 04:39:07 2009 +0100

    move flat volume logic into the core. while doing so add
n_volume_steps field to sinks/sources

Hope this helps, thanks.
Ozan Caglayan