[pulseaudio-discuss] No sound with PA after muting the master channel and restarting PA

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 4 07:22:17 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Ozan Çağlayan at 02/06/09 11:38 did gyre and gimble:
> Then I've done a bisect between those tags and the problem seems to be
> introduced by the following commit:
>
> commit d5f46e824e3f8a042e6f67dd4c3fc385545edd74
> Author: Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
> Date:   Tue Jan 27 04:39:07 2009 +0100
>
>     move flat volume logic into the core. while doing so add
> n_volume_steps field to sinks/sources
>

> Hope this helps, thanks.

Very long shot.....:

I've not tried this or checked to see if it is correct or not, but
looking just at your commit above the only change to alsa-sink.c that I
can spot where it may affect things is in the hunk on line 932 in this
page in the function sink_get_volume_cb():

http://colin.guthr.ie/git/pulseaudio/diff/src/modules/alsa/alsa-sink.c?id=d5f46e824e3f8a042e6f67dd4c3fc385545edd74

There was a call to:
- pa_sink_set_soft_volume(s, &r);

removed. I'm not sure if this is meant after the changes or not. I do
see that in the sink_get_volume_cb() method it does still call this
function, so perhaps this was removed accidentally in sink_get_volume_cb()?

You could always try adding in a
pa_sink_set_soft_volume(s, &s->soft_volume);

As the new form of this call would pass in both s and a member variable
contained inside s, I suspect the API change makes this unnecessary now,
so this isn't the magical bullet, but I just figured I'd mention it here
and you can debug - I have no time at present. The same change is also
present in alsa-source.c in that commit (hunk at line 879)

Hopefully Lennart will look in more depth and find where the real
regression snuck in!!

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]