[pulseaudio-discuss] Failed to acquire reservation lock

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jun 12 09:07:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, 09.06.09 10:14, Ozan Çağlayan (ozan at pardus.org.tr) wrote:

> Jun  9 09:33:19 ozan2009-pardus pulseaudio[1383]: reserve-wrap.c: Failed
> to acquire reservation lock on device 'Audio0': I/O Error
> Jun  9 09:33:19 ozan2009-pardus pulseaudio[1383]: reserve-wrap.c: Failed
> to acquire reservation lock on device 'Audio1': I/O Error
>
> I'm getting those warnings on daily PA usage on many systems. Does it
> indicate a kind of anomaly? Is it normal to fail to reserve the device?

This may have various reasons. It's generated when PA has trouble to
contact the D-Bus session daemon.

Currenly, since we lack a seperate user bus in D-Bus a single PA
instance may be shared among sessions but only know about the session
bus it was started from. If that initial session goes away then it
won't be able to contact that bus anymore and you get errors like the
above. This might or might not be the problem in your case.

This problem will hopefully go away as soon as D-Bus gets a seperate
user bus.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net