[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse audio and NFS home directories.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jun 13 09:45:13 PDT 2009

On Sat, 13.06.09 16:46, Nix (nix at esperi.org.uk) wrote:

> On 13 May 2009, Jason Taylor spake thusly:
>
> > shouldn't the directory be ~/.config/pulseaudio now ?
> >
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
>
> That's very non-Unixlike. Unix tradition has always been that if you
> need multiple per-user configuration files, you put them in a
> dot-directory in the user's $HOME named after the creating application.
> Technically clued users know this.
>
> Personally, if something went wrong with PA I would never think of
> looking in ~/.config/, because the directory is plainly superfluous:
> dotfiles in $HOME *are* configuration, so there's no need for an extra
> layer of directories. As there's no way everything will ever switch to
> using ~/.config, all this does is adds an inconsistent place to keep
> config files: and Unix has been fairly free of such inconsistencies
> until now.
>
> *slouches off, grumbling about people who don't know Unix being condemned
>  to reinvent it*

Gah. If you ask me Unix is a complex system with many misdesigns and
limitations. It might be a bit less bad then many other systems, but
seriously, abstractions like the unix mantra of "everything is a file"
are just plain broken. My sound card is simply not a file, and people
who think that are smoking too much weird stuff.

Ther are some good ideas in Unix, but believing it was the holy grail
is crack.

I'd take "non-unixlike" as a compliment, not an insult, thank you very much.

And in case you wondered, with stuff like policykit, consolekit and
stuff we are doing our best to make Linux less and less
Unix-like. After all we try to build a modern OS from today, and not
one that mimics on from the 80s.

And yes, we absolutely should move our stuff to the XDG dirs. Patches
welcome.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net