[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse audio and NFS home directories.

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 13 09:48:43 PDT 2009

On Saturday 13 Jun 2009 16:46:10 Nix wrote:
> On 13 May 2009, Jason Taylor spake thusly:
>
> > shouldn't the directory be ~/.config/pulseaudio now ?
> >
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
>
> That's very non-Unixlike. Unix tradition has always been that if you
> need multiple per-user configuration files, you put them in a
> dot-directory in the user's $HOME named after the creating application.
> Technically clued users know this.
>
> Personally, if something went wrong with PA I would never think of
> looking in ~/.config/, because the directory is plainly superfluous:
> dotfiles in $HOME *are* configuration, so there's no need for an extra
> layer of directories. As there's no way everything will ever switch to
> using ~/.config, all this does is adds an inconsistent place to keep
> config files: and Unix has been fairly free of such inconsistencies
> until now.
>
> *slouches off, grumbling about people who don't know Unix being condemned
>  to reinvent it*

I take it you're not a KDE user then Lennart... ~/.kde/share/apps/config/  ;)

While your statement is true it's not entirely fair, many apps (including dbus) create a ~/.appname directory and store their config there. Personally I prefer that, I don't want my ~ directory filling up with loads of random guff, hidden or not.. :)

Mark