[pulseaudio-discuss] module-pipe-sink

Alvaro Alonso Jiménez alvaroalo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 07:26:39 PDT 2009

Hey!!!

I have a big big problem.

I need to configure PulseAudio in order to combine an audio stream with a
video stream, by using ffmpeg. In this sense, since I was not familiar with
pulseaudio, I tried firstly to be able to generate an audio stream and send
it to other machines of the same LAN via RTP to see how it worked, with
successful results. And now, I wanted to use the module pipe-sink with
ffmpeg with some more options, and taking into account the video input as
well.

The problem arises from the fact that when trying to change /etc/pulse/
default.pa by adding

load-module module-pipe-sink file=/tmp/sound

and deactivating the previous configuration which let me the RTP sending of
the audio streaming to the other machines, now Rhythmbox does not work
anymore, I mean, it loads, but when trying to play a song, it does
nothing!!!!

As a result, I reconfigured again the default.pa file to run as RTP sender,
and Rhythmbox worked properly again.

I would be really grateful if you could tell me the complete configuration I
should follow of the default.pa file in order to have a good behaviour of
Rhythmbox, and to have the audio stream coming from the Rhythmbox stored in
the file of the pipe-sink.

Thank you very much!!!!!!

Alvaro