[pulseaudio-discuss] Remapped sinks: Descriptions and disadvantages?

Timothy J Massey tmassey at obscorp.com
Sat Jun 27 13:25:47 PDT 2009

Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote on 06/27/2009 01:54:37 PM:

> 'Twas brillig, and Timothy J Massey at 27/06/09 18:13 did gyre and
gimble:
> > Finally, my last question is this:  is there a way to control the
actual
> > name and description given to the original sink?  Especially in the
> > short-term, I don't mind having to statically configure the devices
in,
> > say, default.pa, even if that means I can't hot-plug new devices.  I
would
> > certainly do this if there are CPU or quality advantages to not doing
the
> > module-remap-sink.
>
> Well the name you give it already via sink_name, but you can change the
> description which will be shown in pavucontrol via the sink_properties=
> argument to the module:
> sink_properties="device.description='My Preferred Name'"

I think you might have misinterpreted what I wrote.  I'm not (yet) talking
about module-combine.  I'm using module-remap-sink.  When I add the
sink_properties parameter as written above to module-remap-sink, PA chokes
on it.  When I remove it, it is fine.

Thank you for the patch (and tested patch) for module-combine.  It will be
helpful there--it's just as needed.  But I'm hoping I can do something
similar for module-remap-sink...

Timothy J. Massey