[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtual loopback to provide PCM capture

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Jun 28 15:26:33 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Davide Cescato at 28/06/09 22:45 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for the work on PulseAudio! I would like to ask a question, and
> will try to be as precise as I my limited knowledge allows.
>
> I would like to capture the audio on the PCM channel, i.e., the mixed
> sound stream that is sent to my notebook's speakers. I have read in
> forums that Windows Vista achieves the behaviour I am aiming at by
> offering a virtual audio channel called "what you hear" among the list
> of capture sources.

Yeah pulse does this automatically. Every output device (or sink) has a
"monitor" source.

Sources are just pulses way of saying "input device", so recording from
the mic or line in or a "monitor source" is exactly the same.

So if your app is implementing direct pulse support, you can easily
record from these montitor sources. You can see the sources in
pavucontrol under the "Input Devices" tab provided you pick the right
drop down.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]