[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtual loopback to provide PCM capture

Davide Cescato ceski at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 29 03:14:39 PDT 2009

Thank you, Michał and Colin, for your precise answers! I have been
looking for a solution for weeks, and you gave it within minutes of my
request... Internal audio capture works perfectly.

Actually I now have a somewhat related question, for another unrelated
task I have in mind: recording voip phone calls. What I currently can do
is recording from the microphone input, which picks up both my voice and
the other person's voice coming through the speakers. However, the path
"out through the speakers and in through the microphone" adds a lot of
noise to the other person's voice.

So, is it possible to somehow set up PA to let me capture a mixed stream
containing both the internal audio stream carrying the other person's
voice and the microphone input, so that both voices can be captured in
good quality? Of course, I would wear headphones to hear the other
person's voice and to block it from going through the speakers.

The problem with this approach is that the voip application should only
capture the microphone input, whereas the recording application should
capture the mix of both microphone input and "internal audio".

One (uneducated) guess of mine is that if there would be a monitor
stream for the microphone input, I could mix it into the internal audio
stream that I could then capture. I do not know if this is feasible, though.

Thanks!