[pulseaudio-discuss] 'module-rtp-send' suspending in PA 0.9.15?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat May 9 16:43:58 PDT 2009

On Sat, 02.05.09 10:59, Erich Boleyn (erich at uruk.org) wrote:

> Clearly this is broken behavior.

Indeed. In your case it is.

> When looking through the code in 'module-rtp-send.c', I see the following:
>
>     pa_source_output_new(&o, m->core, &data, PA_SOURCE_OUTPUT_DONT_INHIBIT_AUTO_SUSPEND);
>

> Now, I'm thinking of just removing that line in 'module-rtp-send.c',
> but the real questions are:
>
>     Why is that code there in the first place?  It clearly breaks my
>     case of using an audio source.

It does.

The reason I added this flag for the RTP streams is for a different
use case: when you connect the module to the monitor source of a null
sink with the purpose that this null sink then becomes a dedicated RTP
sink you can play your music to. In this case it is a good idea if
the sink (and hence the monitor source and hence the RTP stream) can
be suspended when no real application is actually connected to the
sink.

Seems I didn't think about your uses case here. Stupid me ;-)

We probably should make that flag controllable via a module parameter,
which defaults to off. I must admit that my use case is less obvious
than yours, so your desired behaviour should be the default.

Hmm, could you please file a bug about this so that I don't forget
about this? (Even better: attach a ready made patch! ;-))

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net