[pulseaudio-discuss] Distribution kernels and glitch-free (Packagers, read this!)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 12 06:35:04 PDT 2009

On Tue, 12.05.09 12:16, Hynek Hanke (hanke at brailcom.org) wrote:

Which PA version is this?

> Our application still gets latency up to 260ms. If initially we set tlength
> to 100 and maxlength with a big limit so that Pulse can freely increase
> the latency to avoid glitches, it starts with small latency and underruns
> and increases it up to 60ms or more again.
>
> May 12 11:53:29 homer pulseaudio[27727]: protocol-native.c: Final
> latency 19,95 ms = 0,00 ms + 2*9,98 ms + 0,00 ms

Uh, that 0,00 looks suspicious.

What's the output of "ls" in pacmd when you have this connection? This
should tell us what exactly has been requested by the clients.

> So why would the latency be so big? What does it mean the 2*9,98? If it
> is the trip
> between app and pulse, why is it so big as well?

Basically, the three values on the right side are per-stream buffer size,
request size and hardware buffer size. That the latter is 0 is very suspicious.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net