[pulseaudio-discuss] Distribution kernels and glitch-free (Packagers, read this!)

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Tue May 12 06:58:59 PDT 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Which PA version is this?

Thank you for your quick reply! This is 0.9.14.

>> Our application still gets latency up to 260ms. If initially we set tlength
>> to 100 and maxlength with a big limit so that Pulse can freely increase
>> the latency to avoid glitches, it starts with small latency and underruns
>> and increases it up to 60ms or more again.
>>
>> May 12 11:53:29 homer pulseaudio[27727]: protocol-native.c: Final
>> latency 19,95 ms = 0,00 ms + 2*9,98 ms + 0,00 ms
>>

> Uh, that 0,00 looks suspicious.

When we limited maxtlength to 1000, we got even negative values,
like -3ms (which displayed as very large positive values in the logs, I
think due to some kind of overflow, but it was clear from the total sum
that the numbers were small negatives). I don't know if this is any clue
for you.

http://www.freebsoft.org/~hanke/pacmd.log

>> So why would the latency be so big? What does it mean the 2*9,98? If it
>> is the trip
>> between app and pulse, why is it so big as well?
>>

> Basically, the three values on the right side are per-stream buffer size,
> request size and hardware buffer size.

So 0+2*10+0 would mean roughly 20ms delay between the instant when the
client first requests playback and when the sound is audible in the
speakers?
Just trying to understand...

Thank you,
Hynek Hanke