[pulseaudio-discuss] Connect sources to sinks directly

mark mfalcey at gmail.com
Fri May 22 16:27:48 PDT 2009

Can we has this plz?

I know there are some long term trac bugs about this but I thought I
would bring it here to see what people are thinking.

Lately I have been encountering a number of scenarios where the lack of
being able to connect sources to sinks directly has proved to be quite
the petty annoyance.

Line in of any of my sound cards to my usb headset...
or to an rtp sender or both. I have my stereo connected to my pc and
sometimes would like to pipe the radio from it through my local network
or to my usb headset and sometimes I would like to pipe sound from my
remote pc to my stereo. Opening an application to do this seems a dumb
waste of time and resources.

I can write pipes in terminal but I could do that 15 years ago. There
needs to be some progress on this front and PulseAudio could make it so
easy.

Another scenario:
Using jack and pulse with module-pulse-jack it would be very handy if i
could direct jack out to the pulse source and then on to my usb headset
or sound card or rtp sender on the fly. This would vastly improve the
usability of pulse-jack-source and the whole pulse-jack thing in
general. Maybe if we got the jack devs on board to have pulse as a
input/output option......

I think this would add a lot to pulse and definitely improve pulse for
jack, network streamers, and people with more than one audio device or
more than one destination device for their sound sources which is a
rapidly growing community.

These days a lot of people are using multiple hardware sound sources and
sinks, usb, bluetooth, mp3 players, etc. It would make life so much
easier if these sources could directly play to any other device/sink
with a few clicks in pavucontrol.

If there were "monitor of source blah blah blah..." in Playback that
would just be fantastic.

Then I could pipe sofaspace from my satellite phone to my laptop and
connect that to my stereo in the middle of the ocean....or desert...or
mountains... or anywhere...instant worldwide chillout and it would all
be thanks to PulseAudio.

Is it a fantasy?