[pulseaudio-discuss] Working with PA and jack

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue May 26 23:56:11 PDT 2009

2009/5/27 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>:
> Do you or anyone else have a specific reasoning for using only the jackdbus
> version?  Is is just because the person who wrote the code wrote it to work
> with jackdbus?
>
> Is this something that could be handled in a different way to give legacy
> jack users this feature?

I don't use Jack myself (anymore), but from what I understand, this
feature is tied to jackdbus, because D-Bus is the protocol Jack and PA
use to communicate with each other. When PA is running and Jack is
started, Jack can't force PA to release the device, if PA doesn't want
to cooperate (well, it could use the "kill" command or something...).
PA cooperates by listening for device release requests using D-Bus, so
Jack has to use D-Bus too. And apparently jackdbus is the only
implementation that does that.

--
Tanu Kaskinen