[pulseaudio-discuss] How to move streams to/from a remote PA server

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Nov 1 12:10:20 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Tore Anderson at 01/11/09 19:19 did gyre and gimble:
> * Colin Guthrie
>
>> You shouldn't run padevchooser. It's not something we support or
>> recommend these days, party due to exactly this problem!
>>
>> The approach you need to take here is slightly different. You do not
>> (cannot) move a live stream between two PA deamons. What you do
>> instead is *always* talk to your local PA server. If you run paprefs,
>> and enable the relevent network options, you will automatically get a
>> "Tunnel" sink added to your local PA that will allow you to move your
>> streams between the local and remote devices.
>
> Aha, thanks for the tip!  I assume that the  option you're talking about
> is the one labelled «Make discoverable network sound devices available
> (under the Network Access tab only «Enable network access to local sound
> devices» is toggleable and once that one is set, «Don't require
> authentication» is activated as well).  Haven't figured out why yet, you
> wouldn't have an idea by any chance?

Its something you should report to your distro. paprefs needs to be
recompiled when a new major version of pulseaudio is installed. paprefs
also checks to make sure it can find the relevent modules needed to
enable this feature (in this case, module-tunnel-sink and
module-tunnel-source. THese are usually packaged in the main PA package
itself rather than split out, but some distros may choose to keep them
separate.

So either get your distro to recompile paprefs, or install the relevant
PA subpackage that contains the the module-tunnel-* modules.

Cheers

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]