[pulseaudio-discuss] Howto debug "Connection refused" problem

Kees Bakker kees.bakker at altium.nl
Mon Nov 9 03:02:56 PST 2009

Hi,

Since a recent update of some Debian packages I have a
problem with Pulseaudio. I'm getting
 $ pactl stat
 Connection failure: Connection refused

I'd like to figure out what is wrong. Does anyone have a suggestion
how to debug this? (strace didn't help me much.)

The FAQ isn't helpful, it only has this on the subject:

  I get this error message: "Connection refused"

      It is a network level error, which is caused by libpulse
   trying to connect to the daemon. The most likely reason for this
   error is that pulseaudio isn't running.

Well, I _have_ pulseaudio server running. What else can I
do?

BTW. I've got pulseaudio 0.9.10 installed. But the pulse library packages
are 0.9.19!! Could this be a problem? If yes, then I'm in trouble because
I can't downgrade libpulse0 and friends due to dependencies to a lot of
other packages, and upgrading pulseaudio to 0.9.19 is not possible either.

Any help is appreciated.
--
Kees