[pulseaudio-discuss] Play/repeat a sample loaded on the pulseaudio server

Joan Bertran jbertran9 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 08:30:32 PST 2009

I want to play a sound loaded on the pulseaudio server (a sample) and repeat
it an arbitrary number
of times in a loop.
I'm using pa_context_play_sample_with_proplist and detecting the end of play
with
 pa_context_set_subscribe_callback  with event type ==
PA_SUBSCRIPTION_EVENT_SINK_INPUT
and PA_SUBSCRIPTION_EVENT_REMOVE
then pa_context_play_sample_with_proplist is called again (from the callback
itself)
but it has a noticeable delay between the end of the previous sound and the
restart
(i've tested it on Mandriva with pulse 0.9.15 and 0.9.19 and 0.9.21)
I guess it could be done playing the sounds from the app itself but I find
very handy
 and probably "faster" to put sounds into server memory and just play them.

It would be great if pa_context_play_sample_with_proplist could especify a
number to repeat the sound,
perhaps a property into proplist.
So any feedback on the idea and orientation on how to implement the loop?

J Bertran.