[pulseaudio-discuss] Why no 'default device' option?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Nov 26 00:40:43 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Daniel Chen at 25/11/09 19:50 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Vadim Peretokin <vperetokin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently with PulseAudio, every new app that I start will use the onboard
>> sound card. I have to manually go to pavucontrol, and change the streams to
>> my headset
>
> The new gnome-volume-control applet shipped in 2.28 works just fine
> for this use case. I know at least it works in Fedora 12 and Ubuntu
> 9.10 running 0.9.21, having just tested each on a different machine
> both with internal audio and a usb audio device.

Yeah (I meant to mention this in my reply too but forgot!). The g-v-c
system will actually update the stream-restore database in PA to rewrite
the previously stored devices. This is the critical difference between
it and pavucontrol in terms of the defaults.

Personally I find it all rather clunky and would like to see more robust
handling inside PA in this regard.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]