[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Nov 27 01:28:37 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Markus Rechberger at 27/11/09 09:13 did gyre and gimble:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Markus Rechberger at 27/11/09 05:54 did gyre and gimble:
>>> right now I'm experiencing that mplayer just mutes after a few
>>> seconds, when I start up pavucontrol audio starts to work again.
>>> See this is what I mean when writing about that Pulseaudio does not
>>> work correctly with most distributions (Ubuntu is known to have
>>> issues, although pulseaudio is configured to run per user, no other
>>> process is accessing pulseaudio, nothing is bypassing pulseaudio
>>> either here).
>> mplayer -ao alsa? or mplayer -ao pulse? I suspect the former as we're
>> currently debugging a problem relating to the alsa-pulse plugin shipped in
>> alsa-plugins package. So this is in the process of being solved.
>>

> both...
>
> after restarting the PC with alsamixer the device was muted (I haven't looked
> close enough before rebooting if it was muted..), maybe pavucontrol
> unmuted it but this doesn't explain the
> weird behaviour why audio worked somewhat for 1-10 seconds without
> running pavucontrol.

Are you really talking about mute here or do you just mean the audio
stops working? If ti's really muting then something is pretty bizarre.
Pulse wont automatically mute anything (well module-cork-music-on-phone
could cause e.g. skype to cause music applications to be muted while
it's outputting sound etc.)

But to actually change the mute status (either in pulse or at the alsa
level).

If you can supply "amixer -c0" and "pacmd ls" outputs before and after
the muting problem then this may help to debug what's going on.

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]