[pulseaudio-discuss] redirecting audio from SAA7134 tv card

Luca DELLA GHEZZA luca_dgh at hotmail.it
Fri Oct 2 13:09:31 PDT 2009

On vie, 2009-10-02 at 18:30 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> to, 2009-10-01 kello 12:38 -0500, Luca DELLA GHEZZA kirjoitti:
> > ok Tanu, first of all thx a lot for your reply.
> >
> > I used pactl list to localize the correct input device, as well for the
> > output, but I'm not shure is the right one.
> > this is the output device I choose:
> > Sink #0
> > 	State: SUSPENDED
> > 	Name: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_07.0.analog-stereo
>
> <snip>
>
> If the internal sound card is the card from which you want to hear the
> tv card, then it's the right one. As Lennart said, you can actually use
> pavucontrol to move the loopback stream wherever you want to.

I didn't understand how to do this, but this has a minor importance, I
definitevely want that the tv audio goes trough the standard output,
just that.

> > Anyway with this command
> >
> > pactl load-module module-loopback
> > source=alsa_input.pci-0000_01_08.0.analog-stereo
> > sink=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_07.0.analog-stereo rate=32000 format=s16le
> >
> > I can ear the tv audio from the standard output. That is fantastic,
> > because I tried as well with the BT headset and it works.
> >
> > Sadly the audio has a very poor quality:
> > 1) the audio is pulsing, it seems that it pump up and down the master
> > volume
> > 2) the rate is wrong, because it seems an old 33 rpm listening at 45.
>
> I don't have any idea about the volume pumping, but the rate problem
> sounds like the tv card driver is broken: I guess pulseaudio opens the
> device with rate 44100 or 48000 Hz, but the card actually sends stuff at
> 32000 Hz. In that case there should be regular audio drop-outs, since
> the sink plays samples faster than what comes from the source.
>
> If my guess is right, you might be able to work around the driver bug by
> (Fixing the driver bug would of course be much better.) Add something
> like this *above* module-detect-udev (I'm assuming it's a stereo device
> and not mono):
>
> load-module module-alsa-source source_name=tvcard device=hw:CARD channels=2 rate=32000
>
> where CARD is the tv card name given by alsa. It can be found
> in /proc/asound/cards. For example, I have this in
> my /proc/asound/cards:
>
>  0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
>                       HDA ATI SB at 0xfe024000 irq 16
>
> The stuff in the square brackets is the card name, so in my case I have
> a sound card with name "SB".

well, just to try everything I tried this solutions too, I added the
line to the file /etc/pulse/default.pa, in this moment I can't reboot
the system so I used sudo /etc/init.d/pulseaudo force_reload.
But nothing has changed.