[pulseaudio-discuss] Example using async API

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 5 14:01:47 PDT 2009

On Sun, 04.10.09 09:34, Peter Onion (Peter.Onion at btinternet.com) wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 23:40 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > 'Twas brillig, and Peter Onion at 02/10/09 21:24 did gyre and gimble:
> > > It was ok when pulseaudio was using ~8% of one core but it seems to have
> > > jumped up to 20%, dropouts are happening every couple of seconds and
> > > these messages are appearing in /var/log/messages
> > >
> > > "Oct  2 21:20:47 NewHP pulseaudio[4492]: module-alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke
> > > us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to
> > > write! Most likely this is an ALSA driver bug. Please report this issue
> > > to the PulseAudio developers."
> >
> > IIRC that message was changed in 0.9.15... So I suspect you're using a
> > pretty old PA.
>
> It's a 0.9.14 on a Fedora 10 machine.
>
> Are there any newer rpm's about for F10 X86_64 ?
>
> I think the current pulse releases need a newer libtool than is current
> with F10 ?  This might just be a good enough reason for me to jump up to
> F11.

Uh. F10. That's quite old. PA is very much in flux, I'd not suggest
users using old versions like that.

If you ask me, especially developers should live on the bleeding edge,
so if you don't want to go all the way to rawhide (what I'd
recommend), then at least make sure to run the latest released
version.

I know that some peope think it is a good idea to run distros in
releases that are a year old or two, under the assumption they'd be
better tested and more stable. That assumption is wrong. They are
bitrotten and developers tend to fix bugs much more frequently in
newer software.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net