[pulseaudio-discuss] Re commit b96c707c12562aa614d9e870e1ba0bb9d945d8ce: Change 'Default' to 'Use as fallback'

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 5 14:38:29 PDT 2009

On Wed, 30.09.09 02:09, Matthew W. S. Bell (matthew at bells23.org.uk) wrote:

> Hi,
> I compiled a new pavucontrol recently and I note the above commit.
> Unfortunately, the meaning of the new phrase is not really clear to me;
> i.e., what is it a fallback from? If the phrases are meant to be
> equivalent, then it's more confusing. If it's meant to be different,
> then it's just confusing.

PA saves/restores volumes and devices per-role (if one is set for a
stream), resp. per-app (if one is set of a set for a stream). Only if
a stream is encountered that has no per-role/per-app device stored
we'll fallback the 'default' device, as it is called internally. Since
that name is misleading we decided to expose it as 'fallback' device
in the UI, even though that is admittedly not obvious to understand
either.

But then again if we have to choose between "Name is understood, but
misleading" and "Name is correct, but not obvious to understand" then
I'll pick the latter.

Suggestions for a better name are welcome!

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net