[pulseaudio-discuss] /.

Stephan Seitz stse+pulse at fsing.rootsland.net
Mon Oct 19 08:22:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 03:10:28PM +0200, remrot at gmail.com wrote:
>Seriously, I think that PA is the most important change to the Linux
>sound system that happened within the last few years. Although

Hm, why? For the normal desktop user as well? While I agree that OSS
sucks, I never had problems with ALSA (maybe because I always had
hardware with hardware mixing capabilities). I don’t need a network sound
server. On one system I can’t use PA together with the SB Live (emu10k).
The music was always hanging (but I didn’t try newer PA versions). ALSA
is working without problems. On my notebook PA is running, but I don’t
see any advantage compared to using ALSA directly. Yes, I can change the
output device from the onboard soundcard to my USB soundcard on the fly,
if I switch the external device on. Or maybe I should say, I could. Even
with version 0.9.19 the USB card will not be always detected. Or I can
hear nothing until I restart pulseaudio. And now guess, what is always
working?  Right, ALSA.

I don’t say that PA has no advantages, I’m only saying that most desktop
users will not need PA. Those who need it can use it, but there is no
need to force anyone to use it.

>PA! Although the setup is not perfect, I am able to playback and record
>sound, and this has been the case with every Ubuntu version until today. I

Well, yes, so what? I could do this with ALSA as well without problems,
hack, that worked even with OSS.

>It is totally normal that such a transition comes at a cost, but it
>seems that some people don't understand that or are not willing to pay
>it. Maybe I am not the right person to judge them though, since I work

Maybe because they should pay but are getting nothing that they need? So
why should they pay? I know people who are hating PA, because it breaks
their sound system (they can’t play music and flash at the same time,
while it works with ALSA).

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--