[pulseaudio-discuss] /.

Michał Sawicz michal at sawicz.net
Mon Oct 19 11:19:44 PDT 2009

Dnia 2009-10-19, pon o godzinie 19:47 +0200, remrot at gmail.com pisze:
> No prob, apology accepted ;)
>
> I can understand people who don't like changes in "their" OS at all
> and I think every one of us knowks at least one guy/girl that freaks
> out if some desktop-icons have been moved ;)

Well I can understand people having bad time with PA. I myself love it's
possibilities and had to cope with it's issues several times anyway. I
tried never to complain, just ask for help, a solution.

What's more, a whole lot of issues people had with PA were actually bugs
in the underlying ALSA drivers, but they simply did not occur until PA
was introduced because PA tried to use it The Right Way™.

Another thing is that I wouldn't mind taking it just a bit slower with
incorporating PA in mainline distros due to the above, but that would,
obviously, mean the bugs would take longer to fix.

And I can't imagine people not being able to understand the great thing
PA is, for me particularly in BT audio. Want to talk over Skype through
your BT headset? Sure, PA will do that for you without you even noticing
it. Want to listen to some tunes wirelessly on your A2DP headset? Oh,
and you're pissed off by the damn commercials that flash sites throw at
you while you're listening to your music? Here you go, just mute the
stream and all flash audio will be silent until you decide to get it
back. Oh and BTW, you want to listen to the music you have on your
laptop through your HiFi system? Well, PA will let you do that - sans
wires, through your WiFi network. I just haven't seen user experience
this good anywhere.

And don't tell me that's something the usual desktop user would not
want, because if not them, who would?

My last remark - sure, there are bugs. Bugs are. Period. Some annoying,
some not so much. But it doesn't mean that you have to start a flame war
about something, especially if it's not to blame for a lot of these
bugs.

--
Michał (Saviq) Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>