[pulseaudio-discuss] Suggestion for dbus communication with JACK

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Oct 20 01:15:46 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 20/10/09 07:26 did gyre and gimble:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 12:26 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
>> Quick suggestion, in latest pulse and latest jack pulse will give up
>> control of the audio hardware when Jack starts (as informed by dbus) and
>> grab control back once Jack stops. Could module-jack-sink and
>> module-jack-source also be loaded/unloaded at these points? I took a
>> quick look/grep through the current git sources but couldn't figure out
>> where this is handled.
>>
> Corollary suggestion: mark the internal audio device as 'off' (as if
> user had set 'off' in Configuration of pavucontrol) when jack takes
> control of the audio device. More suitable to what has actually happened
> then having an 'active' sink which doesn't accept audio, pausing
> whatever streams happen to be playing to it at the time (and causing a
> 'hang' in the sound app, though I know that's an app bug in audio
> handling). Right now I can just manually move the stream to the
> module-jack-sink output and the app continues fine, but if the sink had
> been marked 'off', this would have happened automatically I believe.
>
> This second suggestion is more wish-list than anything, since I know its
> not as simple as the first.

It was my impression that the module-jack-* was loaded at this point,
but I've not looked at the code, and a simple grep seems to confirm you
findings.

These would be good additions for interoperability IMO (but I may have
missed something).

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]