[pulseaudio-discuss] Suggestion for dbus communication with JACK

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 20 07:45:10 PDT 2009

On Tue, 20.10.09 12:26, Ng Oon-Ee (ngoonee at gmail.com) wrote:

> Quick suggestion, in latest pulse and latest jack pulse will give up
> control of the audio hardware when Jack starts (as informed by dbus) and
> grab control back once Jack stops. Could module-jack-sink and
> module-jack-source also be loaded/unloaded at these points? I took a
> quick look/grep through the current git sources but couldn't figure out
> where this is handled.

I'd love to add this, and ventilated that a couple of times to the
Jack folks already. The last time we discussed that however there was
simply no D-Bus name that I could sanely bind this logic to (i.e. a
name that is taken as last step of initialization, where we know for
sure that Jack is fully accessible) Maybe this has changed, but I
believe it hasn't.

It is not an option to bind this logic to the device reservation logic
itself because that is supposed to be generic and also doesn't tell us
anything about when Jack is fully up and running.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net