[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatic selection of an audio sink depending on value of ENV variable

Leszek Koltunski leszek at koltunski.pl
Mon Oct 26 08:27:27 PDT 2009

> Yepp, and I'd argue the non-xinerama setup is useless.
(...)

I long had a feeling that I am being a pest with my dual screen, no-one
seems to like it :) Least of all the people in the Gnome mailinglist...

1) Think about this usercase (that I already wrote about before):

- a monitor and a soundcard 1
- a TV, standing in another room, soundcard 2
- bluetooth mouse & keyboard.

Connect the TV to your nvidia TV-out; fire up 'nvidia-settings'; setup
the TV. You've got 2 options:

- 'separate X screen'
- 'TwinView' ( xinerama )

since TV is in another room, Xinerama makes little sense and actually
makes things harder ( mostly because various windows which are supposed
to pop up in the center of the screen pop up between the monitor and TV
and you cannot easily see them, especially since the TV is most of the
time disconnected! )

So you set up the separate X screen. This works very nicely (apart from
a few little bugs in Gnome-panel ) You can enjoy watching movies or
picture slides on your TV. It's really much better than Xinerama.

Furthermore, I already have a simple patch which IMHO does not screw up
anything for the single-monitor and Xinerama people while
ALMOST-WORKING ;) for all those dual-screen pests. I'll post it in
another message.

L.