[pulseaudio-discuss] setting a volume on a short lived stream

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Oct 30 05:15:26 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 02:11 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> This is admittedly a problem, but I kinda hope that it will fix
> itself by applications tagging event sounds properly.

I'm sceptical.

> I certainly would make sense to allow volume changes shortly after a
> stream died. The low-level technology in PA allows that, it's just that
> g-v-c and pavucontrol currently do not make use of this.

In the meanwhile, is there anything I can do manually to effect this?
Command line is just fine with me in the interim.

> But then again, I am wondering if the time you need to fix
> g-v-c/pavucontrol this way wouldn't be better spend in fixing the
> applcitions in question to tag their streams properly.

Yeah, and then you get into that cycle of submitting your patch, being
ignored for 6 weeks while you hound developers and then wait 3 release
cycles before you see it in the wild.  Yeah.  I'm probably jaded.

b.