[pulseaudio-discuss] setting a volume on a short lived stream

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Oct 30 08:42:27 PDT 2009

On Fri, 30.10.09 08:15, Brian J. Murrell (brian at interlinx.bc.ca) wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 02:11 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > This is admittedly a problem, but I kinda hope that it will fix
> > itself by applications tagging event sounds properly.
>
> I'm sceptical.
>
> > I certainly would make sense to allow volume changes shortly after a
> > stream died. The low-level technology in PA allows that, it's just that
> > g-v-c and pavucontrol currently do not make use of this.
>
> In the meanwhile, is there anything I can do manually to effect this?
> Command line is just fine with me in the interim.

You can just tag your streams properly via env vars, as already
pointed out, and then use the system sound slider:

$ PULSE_PROP='media.role=event' metacity

Or, much easier: just update your metacity a little so that is uses
libcanberra!

> > But then again, I am wondering if the time you need to fix
> > g-v-c/pavucontrol this way wouldn't be better spend in fixing the
> > applcitions in question to tag their streams properly.
>
> Yeah, and then you get into that cycle of submitting your patch, being
> ignored for 6 weeks while you hound developers and then wait 3 release
> cycles before you see it in the wild.  Yeah.  I'm probably jaded.

What matters is that you get your stuff into your distribution. And
that is usually not hard.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net