[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatic selection of an audio sink depending on value of ENV variable

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Oct 30 11:06:39 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 18:43 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Dude. This is nonsense.

To you maybe.

> WMs such as metacity are xinerama-aware and have been about
> forever.

Guess I am showing my age because I have to admit that the last time I
tired Xinerama was waaaay before metacity was around.

> Windows won't be maximized across the monitor boundaries

So I hit maximize on a window on a Xinerama screen and it will only
maximize to the single screen underlying that portion of the Xinerama
screen?  Neat.

But what if I really did want a window maximized across monitor
boundaries?

> and
> the monitor boundaries are "magnetic" when you move windows across
> them.

Not really sure what means.  Maybe a maximized app on one screen can be
moved to another and it will be maximized there, even if it needs
resizing to do so?

> So Xinerama in WMs gives you about everything you explained
> above,

Except one thing.  The most important for me in fact.  I must have not
emphasized that enough.  But it's the ability to switch viewports on
screens independently.  A common scenario for me is grouping work tasks
on to different viewports on the screen on the right and switch between
view ports to switch between tasks, all the while leaving the screen on
the left on the same viewport reading e-mail.

> in addition to actually allow you to drag windows across the
> border if you want to.

Yeah, sometimes that would be nice, but generally, I don't miss it.

> And that's why I am saying that multiple screens per display is just a
> pointless excercise,

For how you work, perhaps it is.  Clearly for how I work it's not.

> since it gives you exactly NOTHING that multiple
> montors per screen wouldn't give you -- no, it takes features away.

Does it really give me independently switchable viewports?

> That is a broken use case too, because in this case you should be
> using two seperate displays, instead of one display with two screens.

Actually, I'd probably prefer that, then I don't have to have task bars
on the second screen like I do with dual-head Gnome.

However, AFAIK, one is not able to run independent X servers on the two
displays of a dual-headed video card.  Maybe I'm wrong.

> Really, multiple screens per display is just pointless. Its a useless
> feature...

Every man has an opinion.

b.