[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatic selection of an audio sink depending on value of ENV variable

Leszek Koltunski leszek at koltunski.pl
Fri Oct 30 20:25:46 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 07:55 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 18:43 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > And that's why I am saying that multiple screens per display is just a
> > pointless excercise, since it gives you exactly NOTHING that multiple
> > montors per screen wouldn't give you -- no, it takes features away.
>
> Sorry Lennart, in my (gaming) case, it allows the monitors to be placed
> a distance from each other, such that the mouse pointer cannot cross
> over. I use a small app (mouse-switchscreen) to allow the pointer to
> cross over if I want (ie. when not playing games).
>
> The other thing he mentioned which can't be done on xinerama is
> independent view-ports, where switching viewports on monitor 1 doesn't
> affect what's showing on monitor 2.
>
> Everyone has their own use-case =). But I think this is going pretty
> off-topic for the pulse list?

Let me chip in another user-case: 1 monitor 2 TV; TV not always
connected and in another room. I think we agree that Xinerama does not
cut it in this case. Multiple displays? Maybe, but:

NVidia *and* ATI graphical tools make it easy to set up a dual screen.
To set up dual display, you have to get yourself dirty with xorg.conf -
not an option for 90% of users.