[pulseaudio-discuss] Help with CMI8768 Please

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Sep 13 14:23:22 PDT 2009

On Sun, 13.09.09 16:30, Jim Duda (jim at duda.tzo.com) wrote:

> On 09/13/2009 01:49 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Sat, 12.09.09 10:54, Jim Duda (jim at duda.tzo.com) wrote:
>>
>>> load-module module-alsa-sink device=a52encode rate=48000 channels=6
>>> sink_name=alsa_surround
>>
>> PA should be able to detect a properly set up a52 alsa module
>> automatically. Debian does it right afaik.
>>

> I get this when I start pulse 0.0.15 from fedora 11
>
> I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device surround40:0: No such file or directory
> I: (alsa-lib)pcm.c: Unknown PCM a52:0
> I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device a52:0: No such file or directory
> I: (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open /dev/snd/pcmC0D1c failed
> I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device surround41:0: No such file or directory
> I: (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open /dev/snd/pcmC0D1c failed
> I: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device surround50:0: No such file
> or directory

Th errors suggest that these error msgs where generated when pa tried
to record from these devices. So it is mostly irrelevant...

> I would like to try and debug this.  Can you tell me which pulse source file
> looks for a52?

In addition to installing the .so you need to define the a52 device
string. A config fragment for that is unfortunately not shipped
upstream with alsa iirc, but I think debian includes it. You might
want to steal it from there.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net