[pulseaudio-discuss] Adding "timeout=0" to module module-suspend-on-idle

Harsha, Priya priya.harsha at intel.com
Tue Sep 15 02:17:02 PDT 2009

Hi,

Can anyone help understand this behavior on my system?

1. I try playing a 50 min file using paplay and
it works perfectly fine

2. I try playing the following script and it works
perfectly fine
for ((i=0; i<5; i++)); do echo $i; aplay
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav; sleep(1); done

3. I try playing the following script (without delay in-between
each file playback) and it stops during 5th playback
for ((i=0; i<5; i++)); do echo $i; aplay
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav; done

Somehow, if I change in /etc/pulse/default.pa, add "timeout=0" to module module-suspend-on-idle, the 3rd scenario also plays
perfectly fine.

Can anyone help explain what could be going wrong in 3rd scenario?
And why setting timeout=0 solves the issue? Is setting timeout=0
the right solution?

Thanks,
Harsha