[pulseaudio-discuss] Musings on stream device and volume restore rules

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Sep 24 01:00:29 PDT 2009

'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 24/09/09 03:19 did gyre and gimble:
> 2009/3/25 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 24/03/09 23:59 did gyre and gimble:
>>> In the case of USB headsets I think a rule that says if a new local output
>>> appears "move all streams (new and current)" to it option would cover 90% of
>>> cases with an option to toggle the rule off?
>>>
>>> Thats what I have running anyway at it works as I'd expect
>> Well with the priority lists and the fact it remembers previously plugged in
>> devices, I'd say that it's not a major issue. If a brand new, never seen
>> before device is plugged in, the real issue here is where does it go in the
>> priority list? If it goes to the top, you get what you want here I think.
>> The second time it's plugged in, it's already in the list in some capacity
>> so the rules as to whether to move the streams across to it is pretty
>> straightforward and clear.
>>
>> So if the implementation section of my proposal is accepted, it would be
>> trivial to create a "module-new-devices-take-top-spot" module that
>> implements this policy.
>
> Has any work/progress been made in this area?

Yes actually.

I've now completed (well, not really tested yet!) my
module-device-manager which implements a basic version of this approach.
Nothing fancy, but the priority list of devices and a simple API to move
devices up and down it is done. This list works on a per-role basis.

I've also started working on patches to Phonon/KDE to integrate support
there.

See the bottom of this message on phonon-backends mailing list for some
more background
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/phonon-backends/2009-September/000304.html
and perhaps even this (now a bit old) post:
http://colin.guthr.ie/2009/06/whats-cooking-in-the-pulse-pot/

   Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]