[pulseaudio-discuss] Missing Digital outputs with hotplug Transit device

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Sep 29 10:42:27 PDT 2009

On Sat, 26.09.09 15:10, Neil Wilson (neil at aldur.co.uk) wrote:

> I have a M-Audio Transit external sound device that I use to give me
> SPDIF output on a couple of older laptops.
>
> If I have the device in place when pulseaudio starts I get all the
> anlaog and digital outputs as I'm supposed to. However if I hotplug
> the device then I don't see any of the digital outputs at all. If I
> then do a 'pulseaudio -k', the outputs come back.

As Colin mentioned this smells a lot like a race between device node
creation and PA picking the device up.

Could you please run "udevadm monitor --udev -ssound" and paste the
output it generates when you hotplug here? This should tell us if the
order in which the devices are created. Might be a good idea to run it
multiple times to 'verify' that the order is deterministic.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net