[pulseaudio-discuss] Example using async API

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Sep 29 13:44:38 PDT 2009

On Tue, 29.09.09 21:30, Peter Onion (Peter.Onion at btinternet.com) wrote:

> > pavumeter uses it. It's not exactly a nice example, but it is one.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I was actually after some C code for a an output application, but that
> does show how to set up the event loop callbacks etc. so it's a good
> place to start for me.

If you write output applications it is not recommended to use the glib
glue coe because you don't want to run the audio IO stuff in the same
event loop as the slow X stuff. The glib glue code is only useful for
control applications and for applications where dropouts don't matter
(such as pavumeter).

If you want to use the PA for audio IO in a gtk app it is recommended
to use the trheaded mainloop api to spawn a seperate event loop thread.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net