[pulseaudio-discuss] How do I use PulseAudio?

Fabrice DELENTE fdelente at mail.cpod.fr
Mon Apr 5 11:57:24 PDT 2010

Hello.

I'm trying to use pulseaudio because alsa's softvol plugin doesn't work
(it's a plugin that lets each app sets its output volume).

I'm on Slackware 13.0.

I downloaded, compiled and installed the pulseaudio tgz (0.9.21).

I read the man page, and the PerfectSetup wiki page, but didn't understand
much of what I had to do to get it working.

I created three groups, pulse, pulse-rt and pulse-access, and put myself in
these three groups.

I also created a user pulse.

The daemon is not

I put in my .asoundrc

pcm.pulse {
  type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
  type pulse
}

but trying aplay gives

$ aplay -Dpulse .1.wav
ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
Connection refused

aplay: main:590: audio open error: Connection refused

so tried to start the binary:

$ pulseaudio
W: module.c: module-detect is deprecated: Please use module-udev-detect
instead of module-detect!
N: alsa-util.c: Disabling timer-based scheduling because high-resolution
timers are not available from the kernel.
N: alsa-util.c: Disabling timer-based scheduling because high-resolution
timers are not available from the kernel.
E: module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""):
initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

I also tried as root:

# pulseaudio
W: main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system
is specified).
W: module.c: module-detect is deprecated: Please use module-udev-detect
instead of module-detect!
N: alsa-util.c: Disabling timer-based scheduling because high-resolution
timers are not available from the kernel.
N: alsa-util.c: Disabling timer-based scheduling because high-resolution
timers are not available from the kernel.
E: module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""):
initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

What do I do now?