[pulseaudio-discuss] Audio Capture ( recording a Skype conversation )

Chris cowden damnitmiller at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 06:03:32 PDT 2010

Thanks for your response.  I will attempt your recommendation.

> > pacat -r -d alsa_input.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo | pacat -p -d
> > alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo.monitor
>
> This will certainly not work. YOu are trying to record from your input
> device (mic) and then play it back via another input device (the monitor
> of you output is an input!).

That's what I thought that command was doing, but I didn't have the confidence of a good knowledge base to rule it out.

> This means that you will effectively be recording both your mic and the
> output of your sound card and playing back both streams on the null
> sink. As it is a null sink you wont be able to hear it, but you should
> be able to see the VU meter in the playback tab of pavucontrol.

When you say I won't be able to hear it, do you mean the recorded stream, or do you mean everything even my VoIP conversation?

Thanks.