[pulseaudio-discuss] Two identical USB sound-cards - second card fails to load because card-name found in hashmap.

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Aug 24 08:41:23 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 10:01 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Tanu Kaskinen at 23/08/10 07:31 did gyre and gimble:
> > So, how to fix the bug? I'd just add a new module argument for
> > module-alsa-card: namereg_fail. It could be used by module-udev-detect
> > to override the normal logic for setting the flag.
>
> Either that or just fix udev-detect prior to trying to load it.

Do you mean making sure that the name is unique in module-udev-detect?
The module would need to iterate through all card names, try to find
duplicates and come up with a way for making the new card name unique.
That code exists already in the name registry, and duplicating it
doesn't sound like good design. Therefore, I prefer introducing the
namereg_fail argument for module-alsa-card.

> However, I *strongly* advise using the latest release of PA + the
> patches on stable-queue. 0.9.19 is quite old now and there are a couple
> hundred additional fixes already committed, one of which may have looked
> at this kind of issue.

The card name generation in module-udev-detect seems to be unchanged
between 0.9.19 and git master, so this is most still broken. I wrote a
fix, btw :) If you like it, please pull. Here's the "git request-pull"
output:

The following changes since commit
ef0c73cb9de92c1ea3c7c3e2fc2808dc87af5c7f:
  Wim Taymans (1):
        echo-cancel: take into account snapshot delay

are available in the git repository at:

  git://gitorious.org/~tanuk/pulseaudio/tanuk-clone.git master

Tanu Kaskinen (3):
      module-alsa-card: New argument: namereg_fail.
      module-udev-detect: When loading module-alsa-card, use
namereg_fail=false.
      alsa-sink: Get rid of a compiler warning regarding
rewind_safeguard type.

 src/modules/alsa/alsa-sink.c        |    4 ++--
 src/modules/alsa/module-alsa-card.c |   15 +++++++++++++++
 src/modules/module-udev-detect.c    |    1 +

Tanu Kaskinen