[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiple users (kde) on Debian

Jan Braun janbraun at gmx.de
Wed Aug 25 14:44:17 PDT 2010

Colin Guthrie schrob:
> 'Twas brillig, and Jan Braun at 25/08/10 12:08 did gyre and gimble:
> > Colin Guthrie schrob:
> > FWIW, I agree that's the best aproach.
> > But aren't you PA guys actively fighting this idea? You strongly advise against
> > system mode.
>
> No, you're misunderstanding what I'm suggesting.
>
> I'm not referring to PA, I'm talking about your speech system.

Oh, I see, sorry for that. Please scratch my previous mail then.

> Your systems should be split cleanly so that they
> provide a single system wide service that gathers all the necessary
> information (i.e. what is on screen to go via tts), but they should
> *not* actually play the speech they generate, but rather *make it
> available* to whomever wants to consume it.
> Users (or pseudo users) will run lightweight agents which can connect to
> this system-wide resource and play it accordingly.

So what you want is an "audio-broadcast-server", which can be used as an
audio sink for the TTS, and several "audio-broadcast-client"s, which
receive the broadcast and play it to their local PA instance?

(AFAICS there's nothing to gain by tightly integrating audio-broadcast-server
into the tts, and there'll be use cases besides tts for it, e.g. me
playing music)

Sounds workable, as long as you don't care about zero-copy.

    Jan