[pulseaudio-discuss] Channel Mode mixer element: 6ch vs. 8ch

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Dec 9 00:57:18 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and gee at 09/12/10 04:55 did gyre and gimble:
> I have not encountered anything since then that would lead me to believe it was
> wrong to do so.
> Even though forcing this might not be the best.
> Maybe give an option to the user in pavucontrol (instead of alsamixer) or
> something like this?

Daniel (who deals a lot with this kind of thing) seems to think that
there would indeed be some consequences so we'll have to think about
this a bit more.

Aside from the fact that it's rather complicated (PA abstracts ALSA from
PA clients like pavucontrol, gnome-volume-control, kmix etc., so if we
were to expose this, there would have to be some method of passing this
enumeration from the server to the client and some way for the client to
tell the server  to change the value etc. so this would have to be
designed in.

Even with the hassle factor ignored, it's really not a route we want to
go down anyway. We want the user to simply pick what setup they want and
for it to work. Alsamixer is just a bizarre mess of sliders for 99% of
users and we really do just want to do everything we can to keep that
mess from creeping into PA.

The best solution would be to deal with it in an intelligent and
contextual way. I'm sure we'll find it :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]