[pulseaudio-discuss] How to clos a session?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Dec 12 12:45:51 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Haug Bürger at 12/12/10 10:59 did gyre and gimble:
> The leatest Ubuntu has a serious security bug caused by pulseaudio. If
> you configure pammount to mount a crypted home directory it is not able
> to unmount it because pulseaudio has files in use (.pulse/*). You can
> not even kill the daemon because it is set to user session.
>
> So, how can you stop the pulseaudio user session? In the hope that this
> releases the files.
>
> Is it really necessary for the deamon to lock the files that you can not
> unmount or is this a bug?

It's quite deliberate. PA has a timeout that prevents it from closing
immediate. This means that if PA autospawns, it will stick around for a
little while in case it's needed again (while startup is fairly quick,
we do have to probe the hardware so it does take time). This is
primarily for console applications rather than X11 however, as under X11
a Session Manager module is loaded which keeps PA alive for the duration
of the X session.

You can make a change in daemon.conf to set exit-idle-time to 0. This
should allow PA to exit when the X11 session exits.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]